Department of instrumentation was established in 1994 and has since then seen tremendous growth in several aspects. Now it is lead by Prof. S. B. Savargave. Under his guidance department faculty are committed and ready to impart excellent technical knowledge to the students.
Instrumentation is an interdisciplinary branch of engineering basically designed to deal with Measurement, Calibration, Control and Optimization of industrial parameters especially in process industries. Instrumentation engineers are responsible for design, integration, installation and commissioning of automation system in all types of manufacturing plants, energy & infrastructure. Advanced instrumentation includes latest automation tools like industrial PCs, PLC, DCS, Fieldbus and SCADA. Due to phenomenal expectations in productivity, product quality and pricing, the advanced technologies of electronics, computer and IT are currently used in instrumentation. The department offers undergraduate course with specialization in process instrumentation, automation in energy & infrastructure, and power plant instrumentation.
The department is well equipped with laboratory facilities that include arenas like Signal Processing & Simulation, Process Automation, Biomedical instrumentation, Control, Analytical instrumentation, Digital Electronics and Embedded Systems, Electrical Technology and Instrumentation, Transducers & Measurement and Communication for academic development of students with Wi-Fi facility & separate departmental library. The laboratories help students develop body of skills involving manual and technical skills thereby reinforcing the theoretical concepts. We take special measures to undertake object-oriented industrial visits and experts’ lectures on special topics. Also running ISA Student Section successfully to forge the industry institute interaction.
After passing the Degree Course in Instrumentation Engineering, the students find a wide range of jobs and business opportunities in various sectors of industries ranging from automobile to petrochemicals to biotechnology. The pass outs are absorbed in:
- Power plants
- Fertilizers & Chemical industries
- Petro-chemical industries
- Pharmaceutical Industries
- Cement Factories
- Health Care Services
- Consulting Services
- Navigational & Aerospace Organization
- Food Processing Industry
- Weather Monitoring Stations
Students also get abundant opportunities for higher studies in Indian & Foreign universities.
The professional practices include: Marketing, Sales, Service, Production, Turn Key Project, Consultation, Supervision, Design, Entrepreneurship and other related activities.
1. Control Lab : Students can study and demonstrate frequency response and time response of control systems, performance criteria for optimizing system response.
2. Communication Lab: One can study modulation/demodulation and communication techniques like satellite, wireless, LAN, MAN and WAN.
3. Electronics & Signal Conditioning Lab: This Lab deals with study of different electronic components and its characteristics and devices. The knowledge of analog and digital electronics is to be applied to the design of signal conditioning circuits for process parameter measurements using a variety of transducers.
4. Analytical Instrumentation Lab: Analytical Instrumentation lab is meant for qualitative and quantitative analysis of chemical samples using various analytical instruments.
5. Biomedical Instrumentation Lab: Various charts are used to study different systems in human body like cardiovascular, nervous system . Students get familiar with diagnostic instruments like ECG, EEG, EMG and therapeutic instruments like defibrillator, ventilator etc .
6. Transducers and Measurement Lab: This involves the measurement of industrial parameters like temperature, pressure, flow, level, speed, sound, light, viscosity, density, acceleration, humidity etc using a wide range of transducers.
7. Process Automation Lab: This lab is equipped with the process measuring and control instruments to experiment on various control schemes. The set ups are meant for understanding fundamentals characteristics of continuous, discrete and batch process control.
8. Digital electronics and Embedded System Lab: The lab is equipped with computers along with microprocessor, microcontroller kits and interfacing cards like keyboard, display, I/O interface, ADC/DAC interfacing. Students are trained to program, interface various cards and design embedded system for various applications.
9. Electrical Technology and Instrumentation Lab: In this lab we perform the experiments pertaining to the electrical and electronics measurement, electrical machines. Lab is fully equipped with modern equipments and instruments.
10. Power Electronics and Drives Lab: This lab is equipped with various power components like SCR, MOSFET and IGBT. Also various kits like Half and Full wave controlled rectifiers, series-parallel inverter, motor controlling using electronics means and commutation circuits.
11. Instrumentation Softwares: This Lab is for preparing different prototype models based upon MATLAB, LABVIEW and many other software packages. All types of simulations in continuous and discrete domain can be performed on MATLAB. Here we apply theory to real situations and demonstrate the limitations of theory.